Last year, Hunger Hero and Detroit Pistons forward Tobias Harris donated $10,000 to Feeding Children Everywhere when he received the NBA Cares Community Assist Award. This generous act sparked our curiosity. We set out to learn more about Harris … and were lucky enough to speak with his father, Torrel Harris Sr.!
When asked about his son providing for hungry families, Torrel Harris Sr. said: “Tobias is so funny to be around, but he can be very serious. If Tobias comes across a family that is hungry, he will most certainly feed the family.”
This is not the first time Harris has stepped up to help people in need. In fact, Tobias purchased a $30,000 season-long ticket package as a part of the Pistons Player Charity Tick Program, has donated $50,000 to Orange County Public Schools, and has been the recipient of the Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award (CEA).
If you were unaware of Harris’s humanitarian nature, chances are you don’t know these stats about Tobias either:
- His birthday is July 15, 1992, the year of top TV shows: 60 minutes, Roseanne, and Home Improvement.
- Tobias was born in Islip, New York, but his hometown is Dix Hills on Long Island, also short-time home of rapper 50 Cent.
- As a kid, Tobias’s favorite meal was was chicken, macaroni and cheese, rice and sweet potatoes. Yum!
- He was named “Mr. New York Basketball” during his high school senior year at Long Island Lutheran High school.
- Harris wore number 12 through high school and as a player on the Orlando Magic as a tribute to his close friend and former teammate Morgan Childs, who died at age 17 due to leukemia.
- Tobias has five siblings and all their names start with the letter T: Tyler, T.J., Terry, Tori and Tesia.
- Harris loves, and has always loved, the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
Lover of giving and Fresh Prince? Sounds too good to be true, but those are only two awesome qualities of the NBA star.
Though the nutrition facts may not list it, Hunger heroes like Tobias Harris are the key ingredient to the FCE recipe.